Tuesday, June 2, 2009
Bee Shed & Solitary Bees
Well after too good and too bad weather for working, I finally managed to finish the bee shed. Only I have now decided that perhaps this is going to be my new workshop and the beeshed will be a leanto at the back of it. I have made the door but have yet to hang it. Here is the finished shed which I think turned out OK.
After finishing the shed, I had lots of little off cuts of wood and I made something I have been meaning to make for a long time out of them. A solitary bee house. Simply 4 pieces of wood screwed together for the outside frame with some attachment brackets to hold it onto the side of the shed under the eaves. Then filled with pieces of framing timber drilled with various size holes. I drilled 10mm at the bottom, then 8,6,4 & 3 on subsequent levels upwards. I have seen mason bees here and I wondering what else may take up residence. Chance to use my new cheapo macro lens maybe!
The dandelions are now mostly just clocks whereas just a couple of weeks ago they were a sea of yellow. Now given way to buttercups and lupins just starting in the hedgerows. The apple blossom now all but gone, together with the heg (Bird Cherry) given way to the Rowan. Not seen any drones yet this year but have put out two bait hives here anyway with some old comb in. These are old Swedish Svea hives with only 8 frames in each. If I catch a swarm in them, I will be able to put them directly on top of a warre box.
Posted by Norm at 1:12 PM