Friday, May 15, 2009

Bee house roof structure started

The bee house wall frames are in place and secure. Not only did I nail them, which is all that it calls for in the spec, I also bolted the sole plate through into the floor frame and also bolted the corners of the wall frames together. This has made a really strong structure which should withstand any winds. I have the first 4 rafters in place, unfortunately the ridge beam is warped so I am having to make each of the 12 rafters to fit so this is going to be a slow process. Now me and ladders don't mix as I suffer from meniers disease and I can fall off my feet! So the next few work days are going to be my biggest challenge!

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Work is progressing well on the bee house. The floor is now laid and two of the wall panels are made. I decided to fit a window after all when I found an old one in the barn complete with glass. Now I am considering how I am going to fit it out. I have already worked out that a Kenyan top bar hive fits nicely between wall studs. Of course the entrances will be through the walls with perhaps a pollen trap on the outside.

Saturday, May 9, 2009

Norm's Bee House

The old barn that houses my Swedish bees is looking decidedly dodgy and about to fall down. I do like the comfort of knowing that during the 6 month winter I am away in Spain, they are housed where the Elk can't knock them over and also provide extra protection from the elements. I have decided to build a bee house which will hopefully house up to about 6 hives. It will be based on this plan at Buildeasy :-
I am thinking of leaving the window out of the construction and having a shed solar light for working inside. I will drill a 3/4in hole in the side at the top to allow bees out.
Here is the start I have made in the following 3 photos.