Wednesday, November 11, 2009

A Little Honey

My first attempt at pressing honeycomb earlier in the Spring was done in a cool kitchen on a cold granite worktop. This time, I put the bucket and the press in a warm room by a large sunny window. Flow rate is important when pressing and a little warmth quickens flow tremendously.

With my filter cloth in place, I filled the pan with cut pieces of comb.



Fold over the cloth and set the circular pressing block and jack seat on top.



Sit the jack in place and wind it up.



Keep winding until honey starts to flow above the circular pressing block.



Checking the water content with a refractometer, perfect at 17.5%.



10Lbs of honey later, I now have to remove the sticky blocks, cloth and wax from the pan. I use a large glass bowl of water to initially rinse them and soak the wax in before feeding honeywater back to the bees. Clearly not the most efficient way to get liquid honey but it is a simple and cheap method for a small amount. Oh and the honey tastes wonderful, mainly lavender I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment